Fruit Pruning Webinar
Do you have fruit trees or bushes that need pruning but you’re not sure where to start?
Our online webinar is aimed at those who are unsure of the best way to keep their fruit trees pruned and in order.
Sally Cunningham will cover the basics with an introduction on how to prune a range of different tree fruit types including apple and pear trees as well as some less usual trees such as quince, medlar, and mulberry. We will also look at how to care for vines.
We will also give some tips on renewal pruning of established trees, how to restore trees that may have been neglected, what diseases you can prune out and those you can’t.
By the end of the webinar, you should know how to look after your fruit trees and will have a better understanding of the difference between fruit & leaf buds, of how trees fruit and why, when & where to prune for different tree shapes, and the outcomes. But most importantly, feel more confident about pruning your fruit trees.
- Basic principles of pruning inc the difference between fruit & leaf buds, how to tell the age of a branch
- How trees fruit and why
- Rootstocks and how they influence the tree’s fruiting as well as shape and size
- When & where to prune for different tree shapes and the outcomes
- How to spot disease when pruning fruit: what to prune out and why
- The elderly orchard: how to deal with an old, neglected tree
- Find out how to sharpen and care for your secateurs and other pruning tools
Skill level: Beginners/Intermediate
About your course Leader: Sally Cunningham
Sally has spent a lifetime as a professional gardener, with 20 years working for Garden Organic. She has always had a keen interest in all things edible and decorative. Hedges of trained apple trees adorn both her own back garden and allotment.
Our webinar will have an informal, relaxed learning environment with plenty of opportunity for interaction. We will also provide a full set of notes and handouts in advance.