Garden Organic is the UK’s leading organic growing charity. For over 60 years we’ve been researching and promoting organic growing to get as many people as possible to grow the organic way.
Garden Organic’s Heritage Seed Library works tirelessly to re-discover and conserve the UK's vegetable heritage, protecting our rich diversity for future generations. The charity believes the best way to conserve varieties is to get people growing and enjoying them again and is supported by its members to grow, save and share seed. You will be joining the team at an exciting time of expansion and ambition for organically produced open-pollinated heritage seed.
The overall purpose of the role
To produce vegetable seed to organic standards and conserve heritage varieties maintained by the Heritage Seed Library.
Responsibilities & Main Duties
- Assist in all horticultural operations for HSL seed production, including planning, sowing, planting, isolation, maintenance and the harvesting of seed.
- Assist with the development and delivery of the integrated pest management plan (IPM).
- Assist with maintenance and development of the site’s soil management and composting system, including waste management, rotation and spreading activities.
- Assist with conducting assessment trials and characterisation of varieties, as required.
- Maintain HSL grow-out records.
- Work as part of a team and participate in the maintenance of the HSL area to a high standard and to organic certification requirements.
- Maintain and prepare records for organic certification compliance.
- Supervise volunteers, work experience and students
- Assist in the delivery of seed saving workshops and similar events
- Assist in the development of the HSL database.
- Assist in seed cleaning and packeting of seed as required.
- Assist in the processing of seed orders, as required.
- May be required to work occasional weekends at HSL events or as part of weekend duty.
It is the nature of the work of Garden Organic that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varied. All employees are expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises where tasks are not specifically covered in the Job Description and have to be undertaken. Occasional evening, weekend and bank holiday working will be required.
- For the full job description and person specification download below or please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit your application via CV and supporting statement detailing how your skills and experience meet the person specification to email@example.com.
- We welcome informal discussions about the role by calling our head office or sending an email.
As part of our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, all applications will be anonymised before being submitted to the recruitment panel. You are welcome to submit an anonymised CV in application for the role however please ensure you provide a contact telephone number or e-mail address.
Application deadline 20/06/2022. Garden Organic reserve the right to close the advert early depending on response levels.